Soho lovin' Chick

I'm a research student who lives in the Greater London area, but I absolutely love Central London, Soho in particular. Soho is the one place where ANYONE and EVERYONE is embraced and accepted...

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Where is everyone?

So basically I've spent the last 6 months of my life constructing a language test that would prove the complexity of my research. I developed 12 sets of the same test - just different versions and orders to counter any priming that may have affected participants' reactions during the tasks. I stayed up nights in front of my computer to know why certain lines were working and others were not. I wrote to the programmers how many times to ask them just why the programming wasn't functioning even though I was using EXACTLY the same jargon as they were with their examples. I ran the test by 6 people to make sure it ran smoothly. I've given my girlfriend headaches, and probably migraines from the number of times I've phoned her to translate things and translate them ASAP. I've been a pain in the ass to my brother in law to type up whatever has been translated, asap. I reserved a lab for 2 months so that I could test people three days a week from 10am to 4:30pm. I sent out maps, directions and listed a work phone number in case they got lost. I rushed paying my school fees to make sure that there were no hiccups in the procedure. I stayed up until 1am this morning to make sure all 12 programs were running smoothly in two languages. I woke up at 6am to get ready and get to campus early, and to fight off all the other vultures that would use the computer lab if they didn't find anyone else using it after 9am. I spent 30mins on a packed train, looking complete disheveled with my face stuck to a glass screen to make sure I got here on time. I skipped breakfast and got tea from a vending machine because I didn't want any excuses of being late.

It is now 3pm, nobody is here - what is wrong with this picture? Maybe it's just today - I really hope so.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home