Soho lovin' Chick

I'm a research student who lives in the Greater London area, but I absolutely love Central London, Soho in particular. Soho is the one place where ANYONE and EVERYONE is embraced and accepted...

Friday, November 17, 2006

The 'Fish Tank'

I wasn't honest with a certain Pink Pigeon I know, I've been going down to Soho a lot more often than I should, which is taking time away from my research, but at the same time, something I've been needing. Today I recieved some disappointing news and phoned a girlfriend, I was out buying printer paper, had high heels on and just wanted to sit down. I wanted to go home, or had a snap judgement made, I got impatient and decided to go home, where it's warm and I don't have to worry about moving.

I realised, I go to Soho whenever I need to feel better. I'll get a girlfriend to meet me there, or if we've had lunch, that's the first place we'll think of to go and have a coffee. Whenever one of us is feeling bad or in need of some love, everyone knows I'll most probably be in Starbucks in Wardour Street (well last year I was there nearly all the time, now that I've started my PhD, not so much). But there are quieter times when I sit in that Starbucks and just watch the world go by. It's like sitting in a fish tank and watching life go on, it's so relaxing. I usually sit on one of those high stools in the front windows. I'll have a book, note pad or article to work on while I'm there, but every so often I'll look up and see what people pass by. One time I sat there, with only a cup of coffee in front of me. I ended up just watching the crowd pass by the window.

You'd have those regular people who would just walk past and never look in, going on about their lives, getting on with what they have to do, going through their mental lists, or just singing their theme song in their heads. Then there are those who will briefly look at the people in the front window, like you're a puppy wanting to be bought and panting against the window. Those people will give sly sideways glances to wonder if you are looking at them. When they make eye contact they quickly look away and get embarrassed. Then there are those who will look inside but look passed you, to see how packed/empty the place is, or just because they've made eye contact but move on to see what else is around. Finally there are those who will look at you and brighten your face. They are those who try to connect with you for those few seconds, and will either smile or wink, or even blow you a kiss. It's really their way of tapping the glass to get a reaction. At times I have really had a giggle at how some people will do anything to make you smile, others it's just plain weird. I have to admit though, none brings a smile bigger to my face than seeing a friend walking past the window, to come and meet me.

Everytime I walk to that Starbucks I get a sense of cosiness. It's friendly, it constantly buzzing with life and no matter what, the most interesting looking people walk past, and if you're lucky, they'll also walk in.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 10:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i can't seem to leave you any notes on OD so i will here. ryn: hehe no it wasn't you, i read through my entry again and realised i was sounding a bit harsh towards my dad :)

     
  • At 8:59 pm, Blogger Pearl Morale said…

    Me love you so much.
    And I love soho too. And falafils. And coffee at Starbucks with Mr Korea (eh, not really Mr K). And watching celebs walk past us simply because you're a massive celebrity magnet!

     
  • At 9:37 am, Blogger Seroo said…

    Soho Soho Soho... what would we do without it? Who knew right next to some nice and tacky sex shops you could find a nice and classy venue for some late night dinner and dancing?
    :) God bless ya!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home